Virginia’s copy of the Bill of Rights to be displayed Sept. 16-17

In honor of Constitution Week, the Library of Virginia will display Virginia's 1789 manuscript copy of the proposed United States Bill of Rights, with its original 12 amendments, on Sept. 16 and 17. The document is one of only 12 surviving signed copies of the Bill of Rights. It is the copy that Congress sent to the Virginia General Assembly for ratification or rejection.

Fifteen and a half years after Virginia adopted its own Declaration of Rights, on Dec. 15, 1791, the state became the 11th state to approve the third through twelfth amendments, which became the first 10 amendments to the Constitution, known ever after as the Bill of Rights. The second of the amendments proposed in 1789 was ratified in May 1992 and became the 27th Amendment to the Constitution.
 
This 1789 manuscript on parchment last was on public display on Sept. 11, 2002.

It will be on view in the lobby of the Library of Virginia from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 16 and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sept. 17.

At noon on Sept. 16, there will be a public reading of the Bill of Rights, as adopted, on the staircase landing of the Library, announced outside the building by an 18th-century town crier.
 
"The U.S. Bill of Rights owes much to Virginians," said Librarian of Virginia Sandra G. Treadway. "George Mason, author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights, first proposed that these amendments be added to the Constitution. James Madison, a member of the United States House of Representatives in 1789, drew on the amendments that the Virginia’s ratification convention had proposed to introduce the original draft of what became the Bill of Rights. The powerful ideas embraced in this document reflect the heart and soul of our liberty. The Library of Virginia invites citizens, school groups, and government officials to stop by and view this fundamental statement of our rights as citizens."
 
The Library of Virginia, located at 800 East Broad Street in historic downtown Richmond, was created by the General Assembly in 1823 to organize, care for, and manage the state's growing collection of books and official documents. Today, its collections include nearly 119 million archival items and more than 1.8 million books, serials, newspapers and state and federal documents that tell the story of the history of Virginia.

For details, visit http://www.lva.virginia.gov) or call 692-3592.
Bail Bonds Chesterfield VA

Rolls-Royce supplier lands in Henrico


A United Kingdom-based supplier for Rolls-Royce has established an office and manufacturing center at the Byrd Industrial Park in Eastern Henrico, the Greater Richmond Partnership announced July 18.

Erodex Ltd., a graphite products maker, recently signed a five-year agreement with Rolls-Royce to supply goods to the automotive company's Crosspointe campus in Prince George, Va. Erodex invested $2 million and hired four to quickly ramp up production for its client. > Read more.

New Walmart opens in Eastern Henrico


JULY 19, 7 A.M. – Eastern Henrico's first Walmart Supercenter opens to the public today at 5001 Nine Mile Road. The store, which occupies about 190,000 square feet and employs about 300 people, is located at the site of the former Fairfield Commons Mall, which is now known as Eastgate Town Center. > Read more.

Unattended oily rags cause fire in commercial building near Richmond Raceway


Unattended oily rags that spontaneously combusted caused an early morning two-alarm fire Tuesday in a commercial building in the 3800 block of Carolina Avenue, across from Richmond Raceway.

Henrico firefighters were called at about 5:10 to respond to reports of smoke coming from the building. Once they arrived five minutes later, they found thick smoke pushing from the rood on two sides of a warehouse whose tenant specializes in woodworking and hardwood floors. > Read more.

Crime Stoppers’ Crime of the Week: July 17-23, 2017


Crime Stoppers needs your help to solve a Hit & Run in the City of Richmond.

The crime occurred in the Carver neighborhood at the intersection of West Broad and Goshen Streets, around 6:45 p.m. on Sunday, May 7. Officers were told the victim was on his motorcycle and traveling westbound on West Broad Street. > Read more.

Henrico County property transactions, July 3-9


A sample of property transactions during this period appear below:

5304 Coxson Rd. – $126,500, 1,819 SF (built in 1953), from Madeline M. Weaver to Kyle and Aja O. Powers.

2451 Yarnell Rd. – $140,700, 1,196 SF (built in 1972), from Albert C. and Mary E. Nolan to Albert C. Nolan Jr.

909 Bowitch Ct. – $194,500, 1,824 SF (built in 2001), from Agnes H. Jones to Mark A. Dawkins. > Read more.

Henrico Business Bulletin Board

July 2017
S M T W T F S
·
·
·
·
·
·
3
5
·
·
·
·
·

Calendar page

Classifieds

Place an Ad | More Classifieds

Calendar

Innsbrook After Hours continues its 32nd year with Brothers Osborne. The Osborne siblings, TJ and John, grew up in Deale, Md., playing everything from traditional country music to rock and roll. Their major-label debut is titled “Pawn Shop.” Gates open at 5 p.m. Show begins at 6 p.m. Tickets start at $20. Net proceeds from the concert series benefit the American Constitution Spirit Foundation and the Innsbrook Foundation. Rain or shine. For tickets and more information, call the IAH Hotline at 423-1779 or visit http://www.innsbrookafterhours.com. Full text

Your weather just got better.

Henricopedia

Henrico's Top Teachers

The Plate