Short Pump movie theater seeks extended hours
Request would allow limited number of midnight shows annually
The Regal Short Pump Stadium 14 movie theater in Short Pump is seeking county approval to extend its hours of operation to allow for midnight showing of first-run movies. The Henrico Board of Supervisors is scheduled to hear the theater's request for a provisional use permit at its April 12 meeting.
The theater, located in the Downtown Short Pump shopping center at the intersection of West Broad Street and Pouncey Tract Road, sits primarily in a B-2 (business) district zone, which allows operation only until midnight. Approval of the request would allow it to show a limited number of movies that begin before 12:45 a.m. Currently, no movies at the theater begin later than 10:30 p.m.
County planners and the Planning Commission have recommended approval of the request, though the Planning Commission did so with the requirement that post-midnight movies be held no more than 18 times during a calendar year.
Planners also recommended a number of conditions that would be tied to the permit. Among them:
• no movie would be permitted to begin after 12:45 a.m.;
• a maximum of four theaters at one time would be permitted to show movies that last until 3 a.m.;
• theater patrons would have to be cleared from the premises no later than 30 minutes after the last movie ends;
• no one other than midnight movie customers and theater staff would be allowed in the theater's lobby after midnight;
• no tickets would be sold to minors 16 or younger after 11 p.m., unless they were accompanied by an adult;
• a video security system would be required to monitor the premises and parking lots, as well as any other areas deemed necessary by police;
• at least one uniformed security officer would be required on duty during the extended hours.
If approved, the extended hours would be subject to possible review or revocation by the Board of Supervisors at a later date if excessive calls to police or complaints from nearby businesses ensued, planners wrote.
The board's April 12 meeting will be held in the Board of Supervisors Room in the western government center. The case is scheduled during the 7 p.m. potion of the meeting.
The 20 public gardens nominated are:
• Bloedel Reserve, Bainbridge Island, Wash.
• Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn, New York
• Buthcart Gardens, Victoria, B.C.
• Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, Ga. > Read more.
Photo by Patty Kruszewski/Henrico Citizen 02/24/2014
The Fifth Annual Henrico Police Athletic League (PAL) Award Banquet, held Feb. 6 at The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, honored HPAL’s top volunteers and employees, including Morgan Lewis, Youth of the Year; Dale Alexander, Volunteer of the Year; Lowell Thomas, Employee of the Year, and Victor Williams, Board Member of the Year. Also honored for their support were Jim and Christi Dowd of Richmond BMW and Josh Davis of Henrico County Public Schools Pupil Transportation.
Keynote speaker for the banquet was Tim Hightower, a University of Richmond alumnus and former NFL running back. Hightower was introduced by Billy McMullen, former NFL player and a Henrico PAL board member. > Read more.
The National Society Daughters of American Colonists is a women’s genealogical and patriotic society whose members are descended from a man or woman who rendered civil or military service in any of the American colonies prior to July 4, 1776. > Read more.
“I am not attempting to abstract the physical world," she said. "I draw my subject matter from inside of myself hoping to create a constant conversation between the viewer and the painting, especially since abstracts do not seem to answer but ask.” > Read more.
Do you play pickleball? Learn more about this oddly-named but fun-to-play sport tomorrow! Though it’s still pretty chilly outside, you can get a jump start on spring at the Richmond Home and Garden Show or at a workshop on raised bed gardening at Lavender Fields Herb Farm. For all our top picks this weekend in Henrico, click here! > Read more.
Robinson, a fullback for the Seattle Seahawks, taped his appearance on the show last week. He was invited to appear on the series after producers of the show learned from an interview that he was a longtime fan. > Read more.
- More Henrico News