Senate - 9th District
DONALD MCEACHIN, DEMOCRAT
1. Why should residents of your district elect you? I ask for the votes of my constituents because I want to continue to work hard to make the Ninth Senate District and the Commonwealth of Virginia the best it can be for people to live and raise their families. We need good-paying jobs, excellent public schools, an adequate transportation system, mass transit, a clean and healthy environment and opportunity and justice for all Virginians.
2. What will be your top focus if elected? In these troubling economic times, the focus has to be the budget. We need to find ways to reprioritize so that citizens get the services they need, our schools get sufficient funding, our bridges, roads and tunnels are repaired and maintained and our health care system ensures that everyone can get care when needed.
3. What is the most critical issue 1) facing your district? 2) facing the state as a whole? How do you propose to address these? In my district, as in all of Henrico, the most critical issue is jobs. We need to ensure there are well-paying, good jobs for all citizens who want to work. We need to make sure our students have the skillset to get these jobs. When citizens are working, they not only can feed and take care of their families, they can pay their fair share which allows us to do what we need to do for the common good of the community. I will work with local officials and the administration to recruit corporations to my district. I will also implement policies to support small businesses. Finally, I will continue to advocate for the best public school system, vocational training and public higher education to create the best workforce.
4. How will you involve citizens in matters of government? My door is always open. Whether during the General Assembly Session or the rest of the year, I am always happy to meet with and help constituents. My law office is in the heart of the district so constituents can come by with any problem, suggestion or concern. I will continue to attend community association meetings and any other gatherings. Finally, as I always have, I will communicate by both personal letter and newsletter throughout the district.
5. What’s your favorite way to spend the weekend? My favorite way to spend any weekend is with my wife and three wonderful daughters. Whether it’s watching TV, playing a board game or even shopping, spending time with them and watching them grow up is truly a joy.
6. What personal or professional clubs or organizations are you a member of? I am a life member of the NAACP, a member of Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, a Board member of POFEV (People of Faith for Equality), a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and a vice-chair of the Democratic Party of Virginia.
Dr. Even Alexander, a New York Times best-selling author who has been featured on Oprah and Dr. Oz, was in town last week to promote his June 27 talk, "Proof of Heaven," at Glen Allen High School.
Alexander (pictured, at right, while Unity of Bon Air church member Harry Simmons interviews him) has written about what he considers to be his journey through the afterlife.
Tickets to this month's event are $25 and will support the new Bon Secours Hospice House being built later this year. > Read more.
The Innsbrook Rotary Club, which is celebrating its 25th year in 2015, has completed a number of volunteer projects this year and raised thousands of dollars for various organizations through three events.
The club's annual rose sale, benefit for youth live auction and Virginia Fire Games competition, combined with individual and corporate donations, have raised nearly $70,000 – money that the club contributes back to the community.
FeedMore is the beneficiary of the club's 25th anniversary project, which provides refrigerated trailers to be used for the distribution of food throughout Central Virginia. > Read more.
For our Top 10 calendar events this weekend, click here! > Read more.
- More News
Jul. 2, 2015Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsMedical Alert for Seniors - 24/7 monitoring. FREE Equipment. FREE Shipping. Nationwide Service. $29.95/Month CALL Medical Guardian Today 888-709-2147
CalendarThe Henricopolis Soil and Water Conservation District will offer a DIY Rain Barrel Workshop from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Henrico County Human Services building, 8600 Dixon Powers… Full text