School Board - Varina District
1. Why should residents of your district elect you? Experience and leadership: The Varina District (which includes Sandston, Highland Springs and Varina) will have to work diligently to reach an acceptable balance between growth and development while maintaining our good quality of life. This struggle is particularly demanding for schools, where more homes mean more students. I have the experience and leadership to help Varina strike this important balance. Vision: We need a clear understanding of what we want for our community and how we plan to achieve it. My vision is a school system in which every student is expected to learn at and is held to a high standard, each teacher and administrator is highly qualified and motivated, and all parents feel welcome and are involved.
2. What will be your top focus if elected? 1) Construct a new Eastern Henrico high school to relieve crowding at Varina, Highland Springs and Henrico high schools. 2) Provide resources and focus to address the performance gap among our students, particularly at the high school level. (The performance gap describes the lower performance of our students on test and graduation rates compared to their peers in other areas of the county.) 3) Improve community involvement in board decision making and involvement in our schools.
3. What is the most critical issue: 1) facing your district? 2) facing the county as a whole? How do you propose to address these? We desperately need a new high school. Although Highland Springs High School has been and Varina high school is undergoing a full and complete renovation in every respect, both schools remain above operational capacity. I believe that this is the most pressing issue facing our District as well as the entire County. I don’t think that county employees, judges and police officers should be expected to spend their careers in trailers, and I don’t think that we should expect our students to spend their educational careers in trailers.
5. What’s your favorite way to spend the weekend? There is nothing better than spending time with my sons, usually outdoors or at athletic events. They are amazing and they have a wonderful group of friends and teammates that make the weekends go fast!
6. What personal or professional clubs or organizations are you a member of? Among others, I serve on the Board at the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, the Chickahominy YMCA, the Virginia League of Conservation Voters, as well as coach and assist with various youth organizations.
7. Additional information: There has never been a better time to live and work in Eastern Henrico. Over the past years we have seen great improvements that have been the result of hard work by many people and leaders. Yet, there is much more to do. I am committed to the fight to continue those improvements while striking a balance that maintains and promotes the good quality of communities.
Dr. Even Alexander, a New York Times best-selling author who has been featured on Oprah and Dr. Oz, was in town last week to promote his June 27 talk, "Proof of Heaven," at Glen Allen High School.
Alexander (pictured, at right, while Unity of Bon Air church member Harry Simmons interviews him) has written about what he considers to be his journey through the afterlife.
Tickets to this month's event are $25 and will support the new Bon Secours Hospice House being built later this year. > Read more.
The Innsbrook Rotary Club, which is celebrating its 25th year in 2015, has completed a number of volunteer projects this year and raised thousands of dollars for various organizations through three events.
The club's annual rose sale, benefit for youth live auction and Virginia Fire Games competition, combined with individual and corporate donations, have raised nearly $70,000 – money that the club contributes back to the community.
FeedMore is the beneficiary of the club's 25th anniversary project, which provides refrigerated trailers to be used for the distribution of food throughout Central Virginia. > Read more.
For our Top 10 calendar events this weekend, click here! > Read more.
- More News
Jul. 2, 2015Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsREADERS & MUSIC LOVERS. 100 Greatest Novels (audio books) ONLY $99.00 (plus s h.) Includes MP3 Player & Accessories. BONUS: 50 Classical Music Works & Money Back Guarantee. Call Today!… Full text
CalendarGenworth Financial, located at 6620 W. Broad St., will present its 32nd Celebrate Freedom Independence Day concert and fireworks at 6:30 p.m. The 29th Infantry Division Band, Virginia Infantry Division… Full text