McDonnell signs ‘veteran-friendly’ laws
Gov. Bob McDonnell hopes that a package of 25 bills he has signed into law will make Virginia “America’s most veteran-friendly state.”
“I am pleased that the General Assembly passed these important pieces of legislation with broad bipartisan support,” McDonnell, a U.S. Army veteran, said during a signing ceremony last week at Fort Lee.
“The courageous Virginians who volunteer to keep us free and secure should be recognized for the sacrifices they, and their families, make on a daily basis in that effort.”
The legislation McDonnell signed included:
• Senate Bill 824 by Sen. John Edwards, D-Roanoke, and House Bill 1861 by Delegate Richard Anderson, R-Woodbridge. This legislation waives the one-year residency requirement veterans and military spouses otherwise would need to qualify for in-state tuition rates.
• SB 959 by Sen. Ralph Northam, D-Richmond, and HB 1719 by Delegate James “Jimmie” Massie III, R-Richmond. Under this legislation, veterans and their spouses can get one copy of a vital record free if it’s being used to qualify for veterans’ benefits.
• SB 892 by Sen. William Wampler Jr., R-Bristol, and HB 1761 by Delegate M. Kirkland Cox, R-Colonial Heights. These bills allow the Virginia Department of Human Resource Management to offer TRICARE supplemental health coverage to state employees who are veterans of the armed forces.
• HB 1557 by Cox and SB 1399 by Sen. Mamie Locke, D-Hampton. This legislation maintains a ratio of one staff person at the Department of Veterans Services for every 26,212 veterans residing in the commonwealth.
• HB 2415 by Delegate Ward L. Armstrong, D-Martinsville. It establishes a discounted hunting license for veterans who have a service-connected disability.
• HB 1535 by Delegate Donald Merricks, R-Chatham. It allows the Board of Medicine and Board of Nursing to consider military training and experience for certain licensures.
• HB 2279 by Delegate Mark Keam, D-Vienna. It requires the state health commissioner to consider relevant military experience, education and training completed by an applicant for certification as emergency medical services personnel.
Canoeing and kayaking enthusiasts soon will have a new access point to the Chickahominy River. VDOT, the James River Association and Henrico County Parks and Recreation are teaming up to establish a new site in Eastern Henrico.
The James River Association negotiated the deal with VDOT to procure official access to the area located just east of I-295 on North Airport Road in Sandston. The site includes a park-and-ride commuter lot bordering the Chickahominy River and has been an unofficial launch site used by paddlers for years. > Read more.
Citizen Staff Reports 07/04/2014
Citizen Staff Reports 07/03/2014
Elgharouch was selected for his clear and demonstrated patience and for his infectious positive attitude, according to the society. > Read more.
Grab the kids and check out these fun family-friendly events taking place this weekend! Speed over to the Henrico Theatre for the film “Turbo” or watch “Dumbo” under the stars at Clarke-Palmore House Museum. Little ones can meet Thomas the Tank Engine at CMOR-Central or play at the Eastern Henrico Recreation Center. For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
Don’t party too hard on the Fourth because a whole weekend of fun events await! Enjoy a classy date night without the kids at James River Cellars Winery’s second annual Smoke and Vine Festival. Another date night option is at the Richmond Funny Bone, where comedian April Macie will perform all weekend. The kids have their own options this weekend as well. Choose from storytime at Tuckahoe and Twin Hickory libraries or family-oriented karaoke at Aunt Sarah’s Pancake House – I hear they have hits from Disney’s “Frozen.” For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
- More Henrico News
ClassifiedsSr. SAS Programmer Analyst w/MS degree & 1 yr. exp.: provide analytical support to perform data analysis, backend testing, adhoc reporting, custom./modify. to standard reports, dev. strategies to increase bus.… Full text
CalendarToast New American Gastropub, 7007 Three Chopt Rd., will host Toast to RVA Day every Monday from 11 a.m. to midnight where the featured local charity will receive 10% of… Full text