House of Delegates - 68th District
MANOLI LOUPASSI, REPUBLICAN
1. Why should residents of your district elect you? I have diligently served the citizens of the 68th District for the last four years. I have supported policies that have encouraged economic growth and opposed proposals, such as unnecessary tax increases, that I believe are anathema to it.
2. What will be your top focus if elected? To aid, in as much as the government has the ability, to improve the economic situation in our state. We have done better than most because we have relatively speaking, a low tax environment for individuals and businesses and our regulatory environment has been less burdensome. Additionally, our right to work laws have been viewed favorably by business and make us attractive.
3. What is the most critical issue 1) facing your district? 2) facing the state as a whole? How do you propose to address these? Jobs, employment, the economy; see above.
4. How will you involve citizens in matters of government? I intend to send out a questionnaire to my citizens prior to the General Assembly session, to get their input on various issues.
5. What’s your favorite way to spend the weekend? With my wife and children.
6. What personal or professional clubs or organizations are you a member of? Board of the Richmond Holocaust Museum (2005-present); Board Member of Elk Hill Farm (2007-present); American Hellenic Educational and Philanthropic Association; Sunday School Teacher – St. Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral (1994-Present; Richmond Bar Association; Richmond Criminal Bar Association; National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys; Virginia State Bar- Real Property Section; Richmond Apartment Manager’s Association; Virginia Apartment Manager’s Association; Mid-Atlantic Affordable Apartment Housing Management Association.
The 10th Annual Filipino Festival will be held Aug. 7-8 at Our Lady of Lourdes Church, 8200 Woodman Rd., beginning with opening ceremonies at 5 p.m. Friday and continuing with live entertainment, food and exhibits until 10 p.m. On Saturday the festival will take place from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. with a full schedule of performances featuring traditional Filipino dance, music and song.
Filipino cuisine, including BBQ, pansit, lumpia, adobo, halo-halo, lechon, empanada and leche flan, will be available for purchase. The festival will also feature a children's area, church tours, exhibits, and health screenings. > Read more.
The Children’s Museum of Richmond last week opened its new Short Pump location at Short Pump Town Center, to the delight of children who attended a sneak preview of the location July 10. The new facility, located under the forthcoming LL Bean store (formerly the food court) is 8,500 square feet in size – much larger than CMoR’s former Short Pump location at West Broad Village, which opened in 2010. The new space includes The CarMax Foundation Service Station, the Silver Diner, a grocery store, a performance stage and an art studio, as well as a giant Light Bright Wall. > Read more.
Spinoff is predictably silly, devoid of plot
In Minions, those jibberjabbering little corncob things from Despicable Me have finally earned their own feature film. Specifically, three of them: Kevin (tall), Stuart (plays the ukulele) and Bob (loves his teddy bear), all voiced by co-director Pierre Coffin.
After tracing the evolution of Minionkind – we don’t know what they are, but we know they’re hardwired to serve the baddest villain around – our three Minion heroes set off upon a quest to save their species and find the newest, nastiest villain overlord. > Read more.
- More News
Jul. 16, 2015Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsMedical Alert for Seniors - 24/7 monitoring. FREE Equipment. FREE Shipping. Nationwide Service. $29.95/Month CALL Medical Guardian Today 888-709-2147
CalendarInnsbrook After Hours will present Andy Grammer and American Authors, with special guest AJR, at 6 p.m. Grammer’s highly-anticipated sophomore album titled “Magazines or Novels” is due out Aug. 5… Full text