Dominion set to work on numerous Henrico sites today
Dominion Power crews will be working to restore power in the following Henrico locations today:
• Eastern Henrico – Portguese Road; New Market Road between Strath Road and Gregg Road; Nine Mile Road west of Capital GMC.
• Glen Allen – Cedar Lane; Greenwood Road at Kings Road; Hunton Park Boulevard at the pumping station; Lakewood at Wilton; Mountain Road at Greenwood Road; Old Washington Highway north of Hanover Avenue; Route 625 at Route 623; Springfield Road north of Nuckols Road; Stone Arbor Lane; Mountain Road substation; Old Telegraph Road near Route 1; Old Washington Highway; Woodman Road.
• Highland Springs – Nine Mile Road at Oak Street.
• Northern Henrico – 5208 Azalea Avenue; Azalea Avenue west of the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike; Lakeside substation; Lydell Drive at Hungary Road; Nandina Drive near Hungary Road; Purcell Road; Thacker Lane near Aeronca Road.
• Sandston – Huntsman Place at Taraby Drive; South Airport Drive at the railroad tracks.
• West End – Avalon Drive at Parham Road; Broad Street at Fountain Road; Camden Drive south of Santa Anna; Rolondo Drive near Santa Anna; College Road north of Glen Parkway; Gayton Road between Wembly and Gaskins; Michael Road at Westbury Road; River Road substation; Staples Mill Road at Dude Ranch Road; West End Drive north of Greenford Drive; Yolanda Road near Fon-du-lac.
The Richmond West Breakfast Lions Club (based in western Henrico) recently donated 59 backpacks to the Westover Hills Elementary School on Jahnke Road.
Above, club members display some of the backpacks prior to their distribution. > Read more.
Thanks to a first-place win in The American Protege International Vocal Competition 2014, Glen Allen High School student Matija Tomas will travel to New York City to perform at Carnegie Hall in December.
At the first-place winners recital in Weill Hall, Matija will perform Giacomo Puccini’s opera aria, “Chi il bel sogna di doretta.” She will perform with other vocalists from around the world and have the opportunity to win other awards and scholarships.
Locally, Thomas has performed with Richmond’s renowned Glorious Christmas Nights, Christian Youth Theatre, and WEAG’s Urban Gospel Youth Choir. > Read more.
The John Rolfe YMCA and Gayton Baptist Church have partnered in an effort to bring greater health and wellness opportunities to the community.
Through this partnership, the John Rolfe Y will run Youth Winter Sports programs, including basketball and indoor soccer, in Gayton’s newly renovated $5.5 million outreach center that features a new gymnasium, youth and teen space, social space with café, meeting space and full service commercial kitchen. > Read more.
CAT Theatre will hold auditions for Book of Days on Sunday, Oct. 26 and Monday, Oct. 27, at 7 p.m. each day. Auditions will be held at CAT Theatre, 319 North Wilkinson Road in Henrico. Book of Days will run Jan. 23-Feb. 7 and is one of CAT’s submissions to the Acts of Faith Festival.
Book of Days, by Pulitzer Prize winner Lanford Wilson is an exploration of faith, justice, and corruption, amidst the backdrop of murder – and community theatre – in small town America. Book of Days was first written for and produced by Jeff Daniels Purple Rose Theatre Company of Michigan.
Director Leslie Cline is seeking five females between the ages of 20-65 and seven males between the ages of 24-65. > Read more.
CAT Theatre’s 51st season will open with Sherlock Holmes: The Final Adventure, which will run Oct. 24 through Nov. 8. The play is based on the original 1899 play by William Gillette and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and adapted by Steven Dietz, and was the winner of the 2007 Edgar Award for Best Mystery Play.
The story follows Holmes, whose career as the world’s greatest detective seems to have reached its end until he is confronted with a case far too tempting to ignore. When the King of Bohemia faces blackmail by famed opera singer, Irene Adler, Holmes and his companion Dr. Watson find themselves falling into the trap of evil genius Professor Moriarty. > Read more.
Find out how your favorite dining establishments fared during their most recent inspections by the Virginia Department of Health. > Read more.
- More News
Oct. 16, 2014Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsWrap up your Holiday Shopping with 100 percent guaranteed, delivered-to-the-door Omaha Steaks! SAVE 68 percent PLUS 2 FREE GIFTS - 26 Gourmet Favorites ONLY $49.99. ORDER Today 1-888-691-0979 use code… Full text
CalendarLewis Ginter Botanical Garden, 1800 Lakeside Ave., will host “Making Beauty Sustainable: The Charles F. Gillette Forum” from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 23 and from 9 a.m. to… Full text