10 Henrico Teachers Earn REB Awards
Ten Henrico County Public Schools teachers were honored with 2010 R.E.B. Awards for Teaching Excellence for demonstrated excellence in the classroom. Out of 148 applications, 31 teachers in the metro Richmond area were named finalists for the award, and a total of 18 teachers were selected as winners. The winners will receive direct cash grants to explore postgraduate studies, attend professional workshops or experience world travel. Winners are expected to convey their educational experiences to their students.
The Henrico County Public Schools' winners were:
• Wendy L. Bowles, Rivers Edge Elementary School, Second Grade
• Frank Harvey Chlorie III, Elko Middle School, Band
• Jack M. Clark, Hungary Creek Middle School, Physical Science
• Constance K. Fuller, Deep Run High School, English
• Robert Clyde Lotze, Moody Middle School, Math
• Todd Allen Phillips, Godwin High School, AP Statistics/Math
• Heather Jane Reid, Echo Lake Elementary School, Fifth Grade
• James Harvey Stone, Glen Allen High School, Government/Humanities Center at Hermitage HS
• Deborah Ann Waldenmaier, Colonial Trail Elementary School, Third Grade
• Jane Hamner Williams, Hungary Creek Middle School, Math
HCPS finalists were:
• Veronica Johnson, Byrd Middle School, Strings
• Jimmi Dineen Fender, Henrico High School, Earth Science
• Anthony DiTrapani, Springfield Park Elementary School, Fourth Grade
• Melanie Moore, Springfield Park Elementary School, Fourth Grade
• Helen Archer, Tuckahoe Elementary School, Kindergarten
• Katherine Rock, Tucker High School, Exceptional Education
• Jane Selden, Tucker High School, Biology
• Sheryl Vaughn, Twin Hickory Elementary School, First Grade
R.E.B. Awards for Teaching Excellence, sponsored by the R.E.B. Foundation, is a supporting organization of The Community Foundation. The awards serve to identify, recognize, and promote excellence in classroom teaching in area public schools. Established in 1988, the program represents an important private sector initiative to strengthen the quality of public education by focusing on the teacher.
Emily Francis (left) of Richmond Green Drinks and Cary Jamieson of The Steward School checked out the cherry tomato crop Aug. 20 at the school's Bryan Innovation Lab following a visit by members of Green Drinks. Jamieson, director of the Bryan Innovation Lab, was among the speakers who pointed out various sustainable features of the building and its surroundings, including geothermal, solar photovoltaic and solar thermal energy systems, as well as rain gardens and large storage cisterns (like the one pictured) to minimize groundwater pollution. > Read more.
For the third consecutive year, the Canterbury Recreation Association in Short Pump donated the most meals to the fourth-annual "Dunk Hunger" campaign, which raises money and food donations for FeedMore's Central Virginia Food Bank. Swim teams and community pools throughout the region combined to raise the equivalent of 77,404 meals this year, with the Canterbury group earning the Gold Medal, with 17,454 meals contributed.
CRA will earn a winners’ bash Aug. 24 from 3 to 5 p.m. at its pool on Pump Road.
“Our pool has adopted Dunk Hunger into its culture with fun ways to raise food and funds," said Canterbury’s Dunk Hunger chairman Jack McSorley, a Freeman High School junior. > Read more.
5th Wall Theatre will present “Uncanny Valley” by Thomas Gibbons at HATTheatre, 1124 Westbriar Dr., Sept. 10 through Oct. 3. Starring award-winning actors Jacqueline Jones and Alexander Sapp, and directed by Morrie Piersol. Talkbacks will follow select performances. > Read more.
- More News
Sep. 3, 2015Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsMedical Alert for Seniors - 24/7 monitoring. FREE Equipment. FREE Shipping. Nationwide Service. $29.95/Month CALL Medical Guardian Today 888-709-2147
CalendarVirginia Credit Union will present “The Taking Control of Your Money Workshop” from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Tuckahoe Library. In this hands-on workshop, participants will discover effective strategies… Full text