10 Henrico Teachers Earn REB Awards
Ten Henrico County Public Schools teachers were honored with 2010 R.E.B. Awards for Teaching Excellence for demonstrated excellence in the classroom. Out of 148 applications, 31 teachers in the metro Richmond area were named finalists for the award, and a total of 18 teachers were selected as winners. The winners will receive direct cash grants to explore postgraduate studies, attend professional workshops or experience world travel. Winners are expected to convey their educational experiences to their students.
The Henrico County Public Schools' winners were:
• Wendy L. Bowles, Rivers Edge Elementary School, Second Grade
• Frank Harvey Chlorie III, Elko Middle School, Band
• Jack M. Clark, Hungary Creek Middle School, Physical Science
• Constance K. Fuller, Deep Run High School, English
• Robert Clyde Lotze, Moody Middle School, Math
• Todd Allen Phillips, Godwin High School, AP Statistics/Math
• Heather Jane Reid, Echo Lake Elementary School, Fifth Grade
• James Harvey Stone, Glen Allen High School, Government/Humanities Center at Hermitage HS
• Deborah Ann Waldenmaier, Colonial Trail Elementary School, Third Grade
• Jane Hamner Williams, Hungary Creek Middle School, Math
HCPS finalists were:
• Veronica Johnson, Byrd Middle School, Strings
• Jimmi Dineen Fender, Henrico High School, Earth Science
• Anthony DiTrapani, Springfield Park Elementary School, Fourth Grade
• Melanie Moore, Springfield Park Elementary School, Fourth Grade
• Helen Archer, Tuckahoe Elementary School, Kindergarten
• Katherine Rock, Tucker High School, Exceptional Education
• Jane Selden, Tucker High School, Biology
• Sheryl Vaughn, Twin Hickory Elementary School, First Grade
R.E.B. Awards for Teaching Excellence, sponsored by the R.E.B. Foundation, is a supporting organization of The Community Foundation. The awards serve to identify, recognize, and promote excellence in classroom teaching in area public schools. Established in 1988, the program represents an important private sector initiative to strengthen the quality of public education by focusing on the teacher.
The Varina Ruritan Club celebrated its 80th anniversary with a banquet Nov. 10, during which it presented several annual awards, including Policeman of the Year – to Henrico Officer Aaron M. Lancaster (top) – and Firefighter of the Year – to Julian T. Lipscomb (second from top).
The club also received a plaque from the Henrico Division of Fire (third from top) expressing the division's appreciation for the club and its support of fire prevention programs. > Read more.
The grand opening of The Rink outdoor ice skating rink at West Broad Village will be held Saturday, Nov. 14, beginning at 11 a.m. with skating and family activities. At 4 p.m., grand opening festivities – featuring exhibitions of ice sculpting, ice skating and cheering, as well as fire pits, costumed characters, and food vendors – will begin. Skating costs are $8 for children and $10 for adults, with $4 skate rentals available. Parking is free. The Rink is located at 3939 Duckling Drive, Glen Allen. For details, visit http://www.Facebook.com/TheRinkWBV > Read more.
Find out how your favorite dining establishments fared during their most recent inspections by the Virginia Department of Health. > Read more.
- More News
Nov. 19, 2015Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsSAVE on Cable TV-Internet-Digital Phone. Packages start at $89.99/mo (for 12 months.) Options from ALL major service providers. Call Acceller today to learn more! CALL 1-888-686-5081.
CalendarCSz Richmond Theater will present its 8th musical parody, “Refrain of the Jedi: May the Chorus Be With You,” with performances Nov. 19 through Dec. 20. Directed by Christine Walters,… Full text