Citizen Staff Reports 10/09/12
The Down Syndrome Association of Greater Richmond will hold its sixth-annual Step UP for Down Syndrome 5K and Family Festival Saturday, Oct. 13 from 8:30 a.m. to noon at Short Pump Town Center. The annual fundraiser, which attracted more than 1,300 participants and raised more than $100,000 last year, features a 5K run/walk and a free family festival that celebrates the abilities and accomplishments of children, teens and adults with Down syndrome.
“This day is a celebration of all of the amazing individuals with Down syndrome in our community,” said Allison Wixted, executive director of DSAGR. “The funds and awareness we raise directly impact these individuals and their families throughout Central Virginia.”
The day’s festivities include:
• a 5K Run/Walk (beginning at 8:30 a.m.);
• free family-friendly entertainment and activities;
• a "Superstars Fashion Show," featuring individuals with Down syndrome;
• live music by The Groove Motive;
• the Great DSAGR Pumpkin Patch;
• exhibitor/advocacy displays;
• a Down Syndrome Superstars Ceremony, honoring those with Down syndrome in attendance (11:30 a.m.).
Register to run, walk or volunteer at http://www.dsagr.com before noon on Oct. 10 or at the event on Oct. 13 beginning at 7:30 a.m.
By Sarah Story, Citizen Events Editor 05/16/2013
Popular Short Pump spot offers upscale comfort, flavors
- More Henrico News
ClassifiedsGold and Silver Can Protect Your Hard Earned Dollars. Learn how by calling Freedom Gold Group for your free educational guide. 888-928-5990