‘Hunt for Henrico History’ planned
Henrico Citizen Staff Reports 01/18/11
Henrico County will kick off its yearlong 400th anniversary celebration with ‘The Hunt for Henrico History’ on Saturday, Jan. 29, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Deep Run Recreation Center, 9910 Ridgefield Parkway. The event will highlight the county’s diverse history with displays from local museums, community groups, churches, libraries, local authors and schools. Admission is free.
Visitors may bring a family photograph, document or other item to have scanned and included in a public archive; items will be returned to their owners. Experts also will be available to provide advice about the storage and care of family heirlooms.
Families can explore the “living” timeline highlighting significant events and people in the county’s history and participate in a discovery hunt that guides them through the living timeline and provides a prize at the end.
Visitors also may add their family history to the timeline and learn how to create their own family time capsules.
In addition to exploring local history, children can enjoy crafts and face painting. Food also will be available for purchase throughout the day. For details, visit http://www.henrico400th.com or call 501-1611.
Henrico County will host events throughout 2011 to continue its 400th anniversary celebration. They include:
• Feb. 11, 12 – African-American History of Henrico County in Music and Stories, Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road, Highland Springs – 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., Feb. 11; 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Feb. 12;
• Mar. 5 – Kite Festival and The Taste and Sounds of Henrico County, Dorey Park, 2999 Darbytown Road – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
• Mar. 19 – Virginia Indian Cultural Program, The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, 2880 Mountain Road – 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.;
• Apr. 5 – All Henrico Reads, featuring Henrico native and acclaimed author David Baldacci, Glen Allen H.S. auditorium, 10700 Staples Mill Road – 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.;
• Apr. 16 – Earth Day at Three Lakes Park, 400 Sausiluta Drive – 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.;
• May 29 – Moving Henrico Forward: Air, Road, Rail and Water, Virginia Aviation Museum, 5701 Huntsman Road – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.;
• July 4 – Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration, Meadow Farm at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Sept. 23-25 – Civil War Commemoration (featuring events at the Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road; Tree Hill Farm, 6404 Osborne Turnpike; and Fort Harrison, 8621 Battlefield Park Road) –
• Civil War discussion, Sept. 23, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Henrico Theatre; Civil War encampment and exhibits Sept. 24, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Tree Hill Farm; Living history and ranger-led programs, Sept. 25, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Fort Harrison.
• Oct. 15 – Harvest Festival, Meadow Farm Park at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – noon to 4 p.m.
• Nov. 5 – Hunt for Henrico History, Dorey Recreation Center, 7200 Dorey Park Drive – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
As part of its 30th anniversary year and partnership with the Children's Museum of Richmond, Commonwealth Parenting will present a six-part RVA Parents Forum Series to address some of the toughest issues confronting parents.
Parenting experts and family educators will tackle topics ranging from bullying to alcohol, sex to divorce, and technology and stress. Parents will learn how to identify potential problems.
"We're excited about bringing this much-needed forum series to parents in central Virginia. Through our valuable partnership with Commonwealth Parenting, we can have a deeper impact in the community through parent and caregiver education," said Karen Coltrane, president and CEO of the Children's Museum of Richmond. > Read more.
Former Sandston resident Mildred Taylor celebrated her 106th birthday Aug. 9. Taylor, who now lives in Powhatan, is still a member of Sandston Baptist Church. She was visited the day after her birthday by several members of the church, who played for her a recording of the entire church membership singing happy birthday to her during worship. > Read more.
YMCA officials gathered last week to break ground on the new Tommy J. West Aquatic Center at the Shady Grove Family YMCA on Nuckols Road. The center, which will featured 7,600 square feet of competitive and recreational space, including water slides, play areas for children and warmer water for those with physical limitations, is the fourth phase of a $4 million expansion at the facility. West was president and CEO of Capital Interior Contractors and a founding member of the Central Virginia Region of the Virginia Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors. > Read more.
Check out these three B’s in Henrico this weekend: books, bluegrass and “Born Yesterday.” Other activities to participate in – and feel good about – are the 15th annual James River Regional Cleanup and the 5th annual Richmond Out of the Darkness Community Walk. For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
Inspirational football movie tries too hard for its own good
When the Game Stands Tall is based on a true story – an unbelievable true story that takes the word “inspiring” about as far as it can go.
It’s a film about Bob Ladouceur, coach of the De La Salle High Spartans, a California high school football team with 12 consecutive undefeated seasons (a staggering 151 games won in a row).
Along the way, Ladouceur (played by Jim Caviezel) faced the kind of hardship most football coaches (thankfully) can only imagine – suffering a near-fatal heart attack, the death of a star player, and rebuilding the team after that 151-game streak came to a humiliating end. > Read more.
Enjoy political comedy at its finest with The Capitol Steps at The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen. Methodist and Baptist churches unite for the fourth annual Mission Footprint 5K, taking place at Trinity UMC. Or in honor of Grandparent’s Day on Sunday, treat them to A Grand Family Affair or maybe a movie – the 1978 film “Superman” is at the Henrico Theatre. For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
- More News
Sep. 4, 2014Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsPROFLOWERS. Send Flowers for Every Occasion! Anniversary, Birthday, Just Because. Starting at just $19.99. Go to http://www.proflowers.com/Celebrate to receive an extra 20 percent off any order over $29.99 or… Full text
CalendarThe Modlin Center for the Arts at the University of Richmond will present “The Intergalatic Nemesis: Target Earth,” a live-action graphic novel, at 7:30 p.m. in Alice Jepson Theatre. Telling… Full text