‘Hunt for Henrico History’ planned
Henrico Citizen Staff Reports 01/18/11
Henrico County will kick off its yearlong 400th anniversary celebration with ‘The Hunt for Henrico History’ on Saturday, Jan. 29, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Deep Run Recreation Center, 9910 Ridgefield Parkway. The event will highlight the county’s diverse history with displays from local museums, community groups, churches, libraries, local authors and schools. Admission is free.
Visitors may bring a family photograph, document or other item to have scanned and included in a public archive; items will be returned to their owners. Experts also will be available to provide advice about the storage and care of family heirlooms.
Families can explore the “living” timeline highlighting significant events and people in the county’s history and participate in a discovery hunt that guides them through the living timeline and provides a prize at the end.
Visitors also may add their family history to the timeline and learn how to create their own family time capsules.
In addition to exploring local history, children can enjoy crafts and face painting. Food also will be available for purchase throughout the day. For details, visit http://www.henrico400th.com or call 501-1611.
Henrico County will host events throughout 2011 to continue its 400th anniversary celebration. They include:
• Feb. 11, 12 – African-American History of Henrico County in Music and Stories, Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road, Highland Springs – 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., Feb. 11; 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Feb. 12;
• Mar. 5 – Kite Festival and The Taste and Sounds of Henrico County, Dorey Park, 2999 Darbytown Road – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
• Mar. 19 – Virginia Indian Cultural Program, The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, 2880 Mountain Road – 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.;
• Apr. 5 – All Henrico Reads, featuring Henrico native and acclaimed author David Baldacci, Glen Allen H.S. auditorium, 10700 Staples Mill Road – 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.;
• Apr. 16 – Earth Day at Three Lakes Park, 400 Sausiluta Drive – 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.;
• May 29 – Moving Henrico Forward: Air, Road, Rail and Water, Virginia Aviation Museum, 5701 Huntsman Road – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.;
• July 4 – Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration, Meadow Farm at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Sept. 23-25 – Civil War Commemoration (featuring events at the Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road; Tree Hill Farm, 6404 Osborne Turnpike; and Fort Harrison, 8621 Battlefield Park Road) –
• Civil War discussion, Sept. 23, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Henrico Theatre; Civil War encampment and exhibits Sept. 24, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Tree Hill Farm; Living history and ranger-led programs, Sept. 25, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Fort Harrison.
• Oct. 15 – Harvest Festival, Meadow Farm Park at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – noon to 4 p.m.
• Nov. 5 – Hunt for Henrico History, Dorey Recreation Center, 7200 Dorey Park Drive – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Citizen Staff Reports 01/29/2015
The Henricus Historical Park in Chesterfield this weekend will portray "Arnold's Raid on Richmond," which took place in 1781 when British General Benedict Arnold took his small British and Loyalist forces and raided Richmond as Governor Thomas Jefferson watched from the safety of Manchester.
The event will take place Jan. 31 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Period-dressed historical interpreters will occupy the bluff overlooking the James River.
Visitors are invited to join the American militia, British regulars, Hessians and Loyalists in camp. > Read more.
Hundreds of 'tweens' and their moms will attend the Secret Keeper Girl Crazy Hair Tour at West End Assembly of God on Jan. 22 at 6:30 p.m., a popular Bible-based tour geared toward building and strengthening relationships between mothers and their daughters (typically ages 8 to 12).
The event will feature a full fashion show, oversized balloon sculptures and confetti cannons – all in the name of inner beauty, Biblical modesty and vibrant purity. > Read more.
Citizen Staff Reports 01/15/2015
OutRVA and Say I Do! have collaborated to offer LGBT couples an opportunity to win an all-expenses-paid wedding at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden’s Robins Tea House on March 7.
In September, Richmond Region Tourism launched OutRVA, a campaign designed to show people Richmond’s strong LGBT community and highlight the area as a travel destination.
The winning couple will say "I do" in a ceremony coordinated by event designer and floral artist Casey Godlove of Strawberry Fields Flowers & Gifts and marriage concierge, Ayana Obika of All About The Journey. The couple will receive wardrobe and styling, a custom wedding cake, florals, an overnight stay at the Linden Row Inn (including a suite on the day of the wedding for preparation), and a post-wedding brunch at the Hilton Garden Inn on Sunday, March 8. > Read more.
There are a bunch of unique events just for kids this weekend in Henrico! Virginia Repertory Theatre’s production of “The Maggie Walker Story” opens tonight at The Children’s Theatre at Willow Lawn. On Saturday, Walkerton Tavern will host a tea party and the Children’s Museum of Richmond-Central will celebrate the Lunar Year of the Goat with several exciting activities. Ages 11-13 are invited to an “Introduction to Volleyball” workshop on Sunday at the Eastern Henrico Recreation Center. For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
CAT Theatre will hold auditions for Quartet on Saturday, Feb. 21, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday, Feb. 22, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Auditions will be held at the theatre, located at 319 N. Wilkinson Road in Richmond. Quartet will run May 22 through June 6 and will close out CAT’s 51st season.
Director Laurie Follmer is seeking two males, ages 50-70 and two females ages 50-70. British accents are required for roles and are requested for auditions. There is no actual singing in the show. Singing ability and experience is not a requirement. Audition sides are available at http://www.cattheatre.com on the Audition Page. > Read more.
Find out how your favorite dining establishments fared during their most recent inspections by the Virginia Department of Health. > Read more.
- More News
Jan. 22, 2015Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsDISH Network. Starting at $19.99/month PLUS 30 Premium Movie Channels FREE for 3 Months! SAVE! & Ask About SAME DAY Installation! CALL - 888-714-7955
CalendarAges 8-12 are invited to Lessons from the Past: A Tea Party from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Walkerton Tavern. “Tea” refers to a small refreshment or snack to… Full text