‘Hunt for Henrico History’ planned
Henrico Citizen Staff Reports 01/18/11
Henrico County will kick off its yearlong 400th anniversary celebration with ‘The Hunt for Henrico History’ on Saturday, Jan. 29, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Deep Run Recreation Center, 9910 Ridgefield Parkway. The event will highlight the county’s diverse history with displays from local museums, community groups, churches, libraries, local authors and schools. Admission is free.
Visitors may bring a family photograph, document or other item to have scanned and included in a public archive; items will be returned to their owners. Experts also will be available to provide advice about the storage and care of family heirlooms.
Families can explore the “living” timeline highlighting significant events and people in the county’s history and participate in a discovery hunt that guides them through the living timeline and provides a prize at the end.
Visitors also may add their family history to the timeline and learn how to create their own family time capsules.
In addition to exploring local history, children can enjoy crafts and face painting. Food also will be available for purchase throughout the day. For details, visit http://www.henrico400th.com or call 501-1611.
Henrico County will host events throughout 2011 to continue its 400th anniversary celebration. They include:
• Feb. 11, 12 – African-American History of Henrico County in Music and Stories, Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road, Highland Springs – 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., Feb. 11; 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Feb. 12;
• Mar. 5 – Kite Festival and The Taste and Sounds of Henrico County, Dorey Park, 2999 Darbytown Road – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
• Mar. 19 – Virginia Indian Cultural Program, The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, 2880 Mountain Road – 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.;
• Apr. 5 – All Henrico Reads, featuring Henrico native and acclaimed author David Baldacci, Glen Allen H.S. auditorium, 10700 Staples Mill Road – 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.;
• Apr. 16 – Earth Day at Three Lakes Park, 400 Sausiluta Drive – 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.;
• May 29 – Moving Henrico Forward: Air, Road, Rail and Water, Virginia Aviation Museum, 5701 Huntsman Road – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.;
• July 4 – Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration, Meadow Farm at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Sept. 23-25 – Civil War Commemoration (featuring events at the Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road; Tree Hill Farm, 6404 Osborne Turnpike; and Fort Harrison, 8621 Battlefield Park Road) –
• Civil War discussion, Sept. 23, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Henrico Theatre; Civil War encampment and exhibits Sept. 24, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Tree Hill Farm; Living history and ranger-led programs, Sept. 25, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Fort Harrison.
• Oct. 15 – Harvest Festival, Meadow Farm Park at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – noon to 4 p.m.
• Nov. 5 – Hunt for Henrico History, Dorey Recreation Center, 7200 Dorey Park Drive – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Richmond West Breakfast Lions Club (based in western Henrico) recently donated 59 backpacks to the Westover Hills Elementary School on Jahnke Road.
Above, club members display some of the backpacks prior to their distribution. > Read more.
Thanks to a first-place win in The American Protege International Vocal Competition 2014, Glen Allen High School student Matija Tomas will travel to New York City to perform at Carnegie Hall in December.
At the first-place winners recital in Weill Hall, Matija will perform Giacomo Puccini’s opera aria, “Chi il bel sogna di doretta.” She will perform with other vocalists from around the world and have the opportunity to win other awards and scholarships.
Locally, Thomas has performed with Richmond’s renowned Glorious Christmas Nights, Christian Youth Theatre, and WEAG’s Urban Gospel Youth Choir. > Read more.
The John Rolfe YMCA and Gayton Baptist Church have partnered in an effort to bring greater health and wellness opportunities to the community.
Through this partnership, the John Rolfe Y will run Youth Winter Sports programs, including basketball and indoor soccer, in Gayton’s newly renovated $5.5 million outreach center that features a new gymnasium, youth and teen space, social space with café, meeting space and full service commercial kitchen. > Read more.
The Boathouse restaurant will open at Short Pump Town Center in the spring, its third location in the region.
“People have asked us to come to the West End for years,” said owner Kevin Healy. “When the opportunity arose, we knew had to jump on it.”
The new restaurant will be located in a 5,800-square-foot space under the Hyatt House Hotel at the town center and will include a large outdoor patio. > Read more.
Boka Kantina exceeds its strong food truck reputation
Already a fan of Boka fare from outdoor events with the Tako Truck, I was delighted to learn of the new restaurant, and eager to see if its reputation held up after putting down brick-and-mortar roots.
Would the food lose its zest if I wasn’t enjoying it in the great outdoors? Would it seem pedestrian served from an ordinary kitchen instead of a truck?
Would the tacos be less satisfying as an antidote to normal lunch hunger – instead of being ingested to stave off desperate hunger after a long afternoon of crowds, sun, and tedious lines? > Read more.
Original Gravity gets the green light to move forward with relocation, expansion into larger space
A Lakeside home-brewing shop has felt the gravitational pull toward the booming craft beer scene.
Original Gravity, a shop that sells beer and wine kits for homebrewers, has just been given the green light to start work on a microbrewery.
Owner Tony Ammendolia is expanding his 1,000-square-foot shop in Lakeside Town Center to 5,000-square-foot digs a few doors down to add a brewery and expand his supplies.
Ammendolia opened the home-brew supply store in November 2011 and since then he said business has taken off.
“I think I outgrew this place in the first year,” Ammendolia said. “We’ve seen steady growth and I’ve been looking for a place to expand to move the shop to get more square footage.” > Read more.
- More News
Sep. 18, 2014Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsDISH Network. Starting at $19.99/month PLUS 30 Premium Movie Channels FREE for 3 Months! SAVE! & Ask About SAME DAY Installation! CALL - 888-714-7955
CalendarSt. Francis Watkins Centre in Midlothian will hold a free flu shot clinic from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Doctors and nurses will be on site to administer free flu… Full text