‘Hunt for Henrico History’ planned
Henrico Citizen Staff Reports 01/18/11
Henrico County will kick off its yearlong 400th anniversary celebration with ‘The Hunt for Henrico History’ on Saturday, Jan. 29, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Deep Run Recreation Center, 9910 Ridgefield Parkway. The event will highlight the county’s diverse history with displays from local museums, community groups, churches, libraries, local authors and schools. Admission is free.
Visitors may bring a family photograph, document or other item to have scanned and included in a public archive; items will be returned to their owners. Experts also will be available to provide advice about the storage and care of family heirlooms.
Families can explore the “living” timeline highlighting significant events and people in the county’s history and participate in a discovery hunt that guides them through the living timeline and provides a prize at the end.
Visitors also may add their family history to the timeline and learn how to create their own family time capsules.
In addition to exploring local history, children can enjoy crafts and face painting. Food also will be available for purchase throughout the day. For details, visit http://www.henrico400th.com or call 501-1611.
Henrico County will host events throughout 2011 to continue its 400th anniversary celebration. They include:
• Feb. 11, 12 – African-American History of Henrico County in Music and Stories, Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road, Highland Springs – 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., Feb. 11; 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Feb. 12;
• Mar. 5 – Kite Festival and The Taste and Sounds of Henrico County, Dorey Park, 2999 Darbytown Road – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
• Mar. 19 – Virginia Indian Cultural Program, The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, 2880 Mountain Road – 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.;
• Apr. 5 – All Henrico Reads, featuring Henrico native and acclaimed author David Baldacci, Glen Allen H.S. auditorium, 10700 Staples Mill Road – 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.;
• Apr. 16 – Earth Day at Three Lakes Park, 400 Sausiluta Drive – 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.;
• May 29 – Moving Henrico Forward: Air, Road, Rail and Water, Virginia Aviation Museum, 5701 Huntsman Road – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.;
• July 4 – Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration, Meadow Farm at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Sept. 23-25 – Civil War Commemoration (featuring events at the Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road; Tree Hill Farm, 6404 Osborne Turnpike; and Fort Harrison, 8621 Battlefield Park Road) –
• Civil War discussion, Sept. 23, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Henrico Theatre; Civil War encampment and exhibits Sept. 24, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Tree Hill Farm; Living history and ranger-led programs, Sept. 25, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Fort Harrison.
• Oct. 15 – Harvest Festival, Meadow Farm Park at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – noon to 4 p.m.
• Nov. 5 – Hunt for Henrico History, Dorey Recreation Center, 7200 Dorey Park Drive – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For the third consecutive year, the Canterbury Recreation Association in Short Pump donated the most meals to the fourth-annual "Dunk Hunger" campaign, which raises money and food donations for FeedMore's Central Virginia Food Bank. Swim teams and community pools throughout the region combined to raise the equivalent of 77,404 meals this year, with the Canterbury group earning the Gold Medal, with 17,454 meals contributed.
CRA will earn a winners’ bash Aug. 24 from 3 to 5 p.m. at its pool on Pump Road.
“Our pool has adopted Dunk Hunger into its culture with fun ways to raise food and funds," said Canterbury’s Dunk Hunger chairman Jack McSorley, a Freeman High School junior. > Read more.
The last Rock ‘n’ Roll Summer outdoor concert at West Broad Village, scheduled Saturday, Aug. 22 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in Short Pump, will feature a salute to the upcoming UCI Road World Cycling Championships, coming to the Richmond region next month. As an all-girl band entertains the public with an AC/DC and Foreigner tribute, representatives from West Broad Village will accept donations of children’s new and lightly used bicycles for redistribution to youngsters at the Virginia Homes for Boys and Girls. > Read more.
For our Top 10 calendar events this weekend, click here! > Read more.
- More News
Sep. 3, 2015Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsGET FREE OF CREDIT CARD DEBT NOW! Cut payments by up to half. Stop creditors from calling. 877-467-4560
CalendarMedicare Assistance & Counseling, Inc., a nonprofit organization that began operation in Henrico in early September, will hold its first presentation at Dumbarton Library from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.… Full text