‘Hunt for Henrico History’ planned
Henrico Citizen Staff Reports 01/18/11
Henrico County will kick off its yearlong 400th anniversary celebration with ‘The Hunt for Henrico History’ on Saturday, Jan. 29, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Deep Run Recreation Center, 9910 Ridgefield Parkway. The event will highlight the county’s diverse history with displays from local museums, community groups, churches, libraries, local authors and schools. Admission is free.
Visitors may bring a family photograph, document or other item to have scanned and included in a public archive; items will be returned to their owners. Experts also will be available to provide advice about the storage and care of family heirlooms.
Families can explore the “living” timeline highlighting significant events and people in the county’s history and participate in a discovery hunt that guides them through the living timeline and provides a prize at the end.
Visitors also may add their family history to the timeline and learn how to create their own family time capsules.
In addition to exploring local history, children can enjoy crafts and face painting. Food also will be available for purchase throughout the day. For details, visit http://www.henrico400th.com or call 501-1611.
Henrico County will host events throughout 2011 to continue its 400th anniversary celebration. They include:
• Feb. 11, 12 – African-American History of Henrico County in Music and Stories, Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road, Highland Springs – 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., Feb. 11; 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Feb. 12;
• Mar. 5 – Kite Festival and The Taste and Sounds of Henrico County, Dorey Park, 2999 Darbytown Road – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
• Mar. 19 – Virginia Indian Cultural Program, The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, 2880 Mountain Road – 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.;
• Apr. 5 – All Henrico Reads, featuring Henrico native and acclaimed author David Baldacci, Glen Allen H.S. auditorium, 10700 Staples Mill Road – 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.;
• Apr. 16 – Earth Day at Three Lakes Park, 400 Sausiluta Drive – 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.;
• May 29 – Moving Henrico Forward: Air, Road, Rail and Water, Virginia Aviation Museum, 5701 Huntsman Road – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.;
• July 4 – Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration, Meadow Farm at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Sept. 23-25 – Civil War Commemoration (featuring events at the Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road; Tree Hill Farm, 6404 Osborne Turnpike; and Fort Harrison, 8621 Battlefield Park Road) –
• Civil War discussion, Sept. 23, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Henrico Theatre; Civil War encampment and exhibits Sept. 24, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Tree Hill Farm; Living history and ranger-led programs, Sept. 25, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Fort Harrison.
• Oct. 15 – Harvest Festival, Meadow Farm Park at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen – noon to 4 p.m.
• Nov. 5 – Hunt for Henrico History, Dorey Recreation Center, 7200 Dorey Park Drive – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Reynolds Community College will host Richmond sculptor Paul DiPasquale Sept. 28 as he shares his presentation “Art Talk, Why Art Matters” from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Conference Center Gallery of the Workforce Development and Conference Center on the Parham Road Campus, located at 1651 E. Parham Road in Richmond. This event is free and open to the public. > Read more.
The Children's Clothing Closet at Highland Springs United Methodist Church will be open Saturday, Aug. 27 and Tuesday, Aug. 30 to provide free new or nearly new children's clothing for families in need, prior to the start of the school year. The Clothing Closet will be open from 10 a.m. to noon both days. The church is located at 22 North Holly Avenue. > Read more.
For our Top 10 calendar events this weekend, click here! > Read more.
- More News
Sep. 15, 2016Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
CalendarGlenmore Yoga and Wellness Center, 10442 Ridgefield Pkwy., will host a “Yoga and the Pelvic Floor” workshop from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. The workshop will feature a presentation and… Full text