Christmas Eve Church Services
The following local churches will hold Christmas Eve services:
· Fairmount Memorial Baptist Church (4205 Ravenswood Rd) – 5 p.m. Contact: 329-5420.
· Westhampton Baptist Church (6112 Three Chopt Rd) – 4:30 p.m. Contact: 282-4243.
· Ginter Park Presbyterian Church (3601 Seminary Ave) – 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 359-5049 or http://www.ginterparkpc.org.
· Welborne United Methodist Church (920 Maybeury Dr.) – 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 740-7128 or http://www.welbornechurch.org.
· Willis United Methodist Church (8360 Willis Church Rd.) – 7 p.m. Contact: 795-1895.
· St. John’s Catholic Church (813 W. Nine Mile Rd.) – 5:30 p.m. and 11:55 p.m. Contact: 737-8028 or http://www.stjohnscatholicchurch.org.
· Greenwood United Methodist Church (10040 Greenwood Rd.) – 4 p.m. Contact: 266-5341 or http://www.gumcva.org.
· Laurel Park United Methodist Church (2700 Hungary Rd.) – 6 p.m. Contact: 266-6520 or http://www.laurelparkum.org.
· River Road United Methodist Church (8800 River Rd.) – 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Contact: 740-7061 or http://www.riverroadumc.org.
· Westover Hills United Methodist Church (1705 Westover Hills Blvd.) – 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Contact: 232-1769 or http://www.westoverhillsumc.org.
· Reveille United Methodist Church (4200 Cary Street Rd.) – 4 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 359-6041 or http://www.reveilleumc.org.
· Walnut Grove Baptist Church (7046 Cold Harbor Rd.) – 4:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 746-5081 or http://www.walnutgrovebaptist.com.
• Corinth United Methodist Church (23 W. Williamsburg Rd.) – 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 737-4837 or http://www.corinthumchurch.org.
• New Hanover Presbyterian Church (10058 Chamberlayne Rd.) – 4 p.m., 6 p.m., 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. Contact: 730-9700 or http://www.nhpc.org.
• Richmond’s First Baptist Church (2709 Monument Ave.) – 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 358-5458 or http://www.fbcrichmond.org.
• Shady Grove United Methodist Church (8209 Shady Grove Rd.) – 4 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 746-9073 or http://www.shadygroveumc.org.
• Second Presbyterian Church (5 N. Fifth St.) – 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. Contact: 649-9148 or http://www.2presrichmond.org
• West End Assembly of God (401 N. Parham Rd.) – 5 p.m. Contact: 740-7042 or http://www.weag.org.
• Trinity Episcopal Church (501 W. Nine Mile Rd.) – 4:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 737-0000 or http://www.trinityhighlandsprings.com.
• Sandston Baptist Church (100 W. Williamsburg Rd.) – 5 p.m. Contact: 737-2171 or http://www.sandstonbaptistchurch.com
Thanks to a first-place win in The American Protege International Vocal Competition 2014, Glen Allen High School student Matija Tomas will travel to New York City to perform at Carnegie Hall in December.
At the first-place winners recital in Weill Hall, Matija will perform Giacomo Puccini’s opera aria, “Chi il bel sogna di doretta.” She will perform with other vocalists from around the world and have the opportunity to win other awards and scholarships.
Locally, Thomas has performed with Richmond’s renowned Glorious Christmas Nights, Christian Youth Theatre, and WEAG’s Urban Gospel Youth Choir. > Read more.
The John Rolfe YMCA and Gayton Baptist Church have partnered in an effort to bring greater health and wellness opportunities to the community.
Through this partnership, the John Rolfe Y will run Youth Winter Sports programs, including basketball and indoor soccer, in Gayton’s newly renovated $5.5 million outreach center that features a new gymnasium, youth and teen space, social space with café, meeting space and full service commercial kitchen. > Read more.
Citizen Staff Reports 09/15/2014
Henricus Historical Park will commemorate its anniversary during Publick Day, a signature annual event that celebrates the establishment of the second successful English settlement in the New World. In September 1611, Sir Thomas Dale, along with soldiers, tradesmen and farmers, ventured from Jamestown to create the Citie of Henricus. Leaders of Henricus developed the first English hospital, chartered the first college in North America, established tobacco as the first cash crop in Virginia, and created a place where Pocahontas lived and met John Rolfe.
Publick Day will take place Saturday, Sept. 20, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free and parking is $5 per vehicle. > Read more.
Paid extras are being sought to appear in the AMC television series TURN: Washington's Spies, which will begin filming its second season in the Richmond area at the end of September and continue through February.
No experience is required, but producers say that extras must have flexible availability, reliable transportation and a positive attitude.
Arvold Casting is holding an open call on Sunday, Sept. 21 and is seeking men, women and children who are Caucasian, African American and Native American, with thin to average builds and who can realistically portray people living in Revolutionary War times. Long hair is a plus but not a must. > Read more.
TGIF! Celebrate the weekend at Oak Hall Baptist Church’s Community Block Party on Saturday. Learn more about ballroom dancing, art and Colonial times. Or take the kids to Generation Z Games for water play or Southern Season to cook up a Disney-theme meal. For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
Check out these three B’s in Henrico this weekend: books, bluegrass and “Born Yesterday.” Other activities to participate in – and feel good about – are the 15th annual James River Regional Cleanup and the 5th annual Richmond Out of the Darkness Community Walk. For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
- More News
Sep. 18, 2014Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsPROFLOWERS. Send Flowers for Every Occasion! Anniversary, Birthday, Just Because. Starting at just $19.99. Go to http://www.proflowers.com/Celebrate to receive an extra 20 percent off any order over $29.99 or… Full text
CalendarThe Henrico Theatre Company will present “Born Yesterday,” a classic comedy by Garson Kanin, Sept. 12-28 at The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, 2880 Mountain Rd. Evening performances begin… Full text