Christmas Eve Church Services
The following local churches will hold Christmas Eve services:
· Fairmount Memorial Baptist Church (4205 Ravenswood Rd) – 5 p.m. Contact: 329-5420.
· Westhampton Baptist Church (6112 Three Chopt Rd) – 4:30 p.m. Contact: 282-4243.
· Ginter Park Presbyterian Church (3601 Seminary Ave) – 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 359-5049 or http://www.ginterparkpc.org.
· Welborne United Methodist Church (920 Maybeury Dr.) – 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 740-7128 or http://www.welbornechurch.org.
· Willis United Methodist Church (8360 Willis Church Rd.) – 7 p.m. Contact: 795-1895.
· St. John’s Catholic Church (813 W. Nine Mile Rd.) – 5:30 p.m. and 11:55 p.m. Contact: 737-8028 or http://www.stjohnscatholicchurch.org.
· Greenwood United Methodist Church (10040 Greenwood Rd.) – 4 p.m. Contact: 266-5341 or http://www.gumcva.org.
· Laurel Park United Methodist Church (2700 Hungary Rd.) – 6 p.m. Contact: 266-6520 or http://www.laurelparkum.org.
· River Road United Methodist Church (8800 River Rd.) – 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Contact: 740-7061 or http://www.riverroadumc.org.
· Westover Hills United Methodist Church (1705 Westover Hills Blvd.) – 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Contact: 232-1769 or http://www.westoverhillsumc.org.
· Reveille United Methodist Church (4200 Cary Street Rd.) – 4 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 359-6041 or http://www.reveilleumc.org.
· Walnut Grove Baptist Church (7046 Cold Harbor Rd.) – 4:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 746-5081 or http://www.walnutgrovebaptist.com.
• Corinth United Methodist Church (23 W. Williamsburg Rd.) – 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 737-4837 or http://www.corinthumchurch.org.
• New Hanover Presbyterian Church (10058 Chamberlayne Rd.) – 4 p.m., 6 p.m., 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. Contact: 730-9700 or http://www.nhpc.org.
• Richmond’s First Baptist Church (2709 Monument Ave.) – 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 358-5458 or http://www.fbcrichmond.org.
• Shady Grove United Methodist Church (8209 Shady Grove Rd.) – 4 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 746-9073 or http://www.shadygroveumc.org.
• Second Presbyterian Church (5 N. Fifth St.) – 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. Contact: 649-9148 or http://www.2presrichmond.org
• West End Assembly of God (401 N. Parham Rd.) – 5 p.m. Contact: 740-7042 or http://www.weag.org.
• Trinity Episcopal Church (501 W. Nine Mile Rd.) – 4:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 737-0000 or http://www.trinityhighlandsprings.com.
• Sandston Baptist Church (100 W. Williamsburg Rd.) – 5 p.m. Contact: 737-2171 or http://www.sandstonbaptistchurch.com
Richmonders Jim Morgan and Dan Stackhouse were married at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Lakeside Mar. 7 month after winning the Say I Do! With OutRVA wedding contest in February. The contest was open to LGBT couples in recognition of Virginia’s marriage equality law, which took effect last fall. The wedding included a package valued at $25,000.
Morgan and Stackhouse, who became engaged last fall on the day marriage equality became the law in Virginia, have been together for 16 years. They were selected from among 40 couples who registered for the contest. The winners were announced at the Say I Do! Dessert Soiree at the Renaissance in Richmond in February. > Read more.
The Fourth Annual Healy Gala will be held Saturday, Apr. 11, at The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
The event was created to honor Michael Healy, a local businessman and community leader who died suddenly in June 2011, and to endow the Mike Healy Scholarship (through the Glen Allen Ruritan Club), which benefits students of Glen Allen High School.
Healy served as the chairman of Glen Allen Day for several years and helped raise thousands of dollars for local charities and organizations. > Read more.
The Richmond Battlefield Ruritan Club is holding a Brunswick stew sale, with orders accepted through March 13 and pick-up available March 14. The cost is $8 per quart.
Pick-up will be at noon, March 14, at the Richmond Heights Civic Center, 7440 Wilton Road in Varina.
To place an order, call Mike at (804) 795- 7327 or Jim at (804) 795-9116. > Read more.
Two events this weekend benefit man’s best friend – a rabies clinic, sponsored by the Glendale Ruritan Club, and an American Red Cross Canine First Aid & CPR workshop at Alpha Dog Club. The fifth annual Shelby Rocks “Cancer is a Drag” Womanless Pageant will benefit the American Cancer Society and a spaghetti luncheon on Sunday will benefit the Eastern Henrico Ruritan Club. Twin Hickory Library will also host a used book sale this weekend with proceeds benefiting The Friends of the Twin Hickory Library. For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
Ichiban offers rich Asian flavors, but portions lack
In a spot that could be easily overlooked is a surprising, and delicious, Japanese restaurant. In a tiny nook in the shops at the corner of Ridgefield Parkway and Pump Road sits a welcoming, warm and comfortable Asian restaurant called Ichiban, which means “the best.”
The restaurant, tucked between a couple others in the Gleneagles Shopping Center, was so quiet and dark that it was difficult to tell if it was open at 6:30 p.m. on a Monday. When I opened the door, I smiled when I looked inside. > Read more.
Disney’s no-frills, live-action ‘Cinderella’ delights
Cinderella is the latest from Disney’s new moviemaking battle plan: producing live-action adaptations of all their older classics. Which is a plan that’s had questionable results in the past.
Alice in Wonderland bloated with more Tim Burton goth-pop than the inside of a Hot Topic. Maleficent was a step in the right direction, but the movie couldn’t decide if Maleficent should be a hero or a villain (even if she should obviously be a villain) and muddled itself into mediocrity.
Cinderella is much better. Primarily, because it’s just Cinderella. No radical rebooting. No Tim Burton dreck. It’s the 1950 Disney masterpiece, transposed into live action and left almost entirely untouched. > Read more.
- More News
Mar. 19, 2015Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsSAVE on Cable TV-Internet-Digital Phone. Packages start at $89.99/mo (for 12 months.) Options from ALL major service providers. Call Acceller today to learn more! CALL 1-888-686-5081.
CalendarThe Richmond Coin Club's Coin and Currency Show will be held from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 1-2 and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 3 at the Clarion… Full text