Christmas Eve Church Services
The following local churches will hold Christmas Eve services:
· Fairmount Memorial Baptist Church (4205 Ravenswood Rd) – 5 p.m. Contact: 329-5420.
· Westhampton Baptist Church (6112 Three Chopt Rd) – 4:30 p.m. Contact: 282-4243.
· Ginter Park Presbyterian Church (3601 Seminary Ave) – 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 359-5049 or http://www.ginterparkpc.org.
· Welborne United Methodist Church (920 Maybeury Dr.) – 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 740-7128 or http://www.welbornechurch.org.
· Willis United Methodist Church (8360 Willis Church Rd.) – 7 p.m. Contact: 795-1895.
· St. John’s Catholic Church (813 W. Nine Mile Rd.) – 5:30 p.m. and 11:55 p.m. Contact: 737-8028 or http://www.stjohnscatholicchurch.org.
· Greenwood United Methodist Church (10040 Greenwood Rd.) – 4 p.m. Contact: 266-5341 or http://www.gumcva.org.
· Laurel Park United Methodist Church (2700 Hungary Rd.) – 6 p.m. Contact: 266-6520 or http://www.laurelparkum.org.
· River Road United Methodist Church (8800 River Rd.) – 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Contact: 740-7061 or http://www.riverroadumc.org.
· Westover Hills United Methodist Church (1705 Westover Hills Blvd.) – 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Contact: 232-1769 or http://www.westoverhillsumc.org.
· Reveille United Methodist Church (4200 Cary Street Rd.) – 4 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 359-6041 or http://www.reveilleumc.org.
· Walnut Grove Baptist Church (7046 Cold Harbor Rd.) – 4:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 746-5081 or http://www.walnutgrovebaptist.com.
• Corinth United Methodist Church (23 W. Williamsburg Rd.) – 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 737-4837 or http://www.corinthumchurch.org.
• New Hanover Presbyterian Church (10058 Chamberlayne Rd.) – 4 p.m., 6 p.m., 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. Contact: 730-9700 or http://www.nhpc.org.
• Richmond’s First Baptist Church (2709 Monument Ave.) – 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 358-5458 or http://www.fbcrichmond.org.
• Shady Grove United Methodist Church (8209 Shady Grove Rd.) – 4 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 746-9073 or http://www.shadygroveumc.org.
• Second Presbyterian Church (5 N. Fifth St.) – 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. Contact: 649-9148 or http://www.2presrichmond.org
• West End Assembly of God (401 N. Parham Rd.) – 5 p.m. Contact: 740-7042 or http://www.weag.org.
• Trinity Episcopal Church (501 W. Nine Mile Rd.) – 4:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Contact: 737-0000 or http://www.trinityhighlandsprings.com.
• Sandston Baptist Church (100 W. Williamsburg Rd.) – 5 p.m. Contact: 737-2171 or http://www.sandstonbaptistchurch.com
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) will host a candlelight vigil of remembrance and hope Tuesday, Dec. 2 at 7 p.m. at the University of Richmond, outside the Cannon Chapel. The public is invited to attend and join MADD to honor victims of impaired driving crashes, while helping to remind the community to be safe during the holidays. > Read more.
Among participants at the Seventh Annual Coordinators2Inc Golf Tournament and awards luncheon Oct. 3 were (from left) Rebecca Ricardo, C2 Inc executive director; Kevin Derr, member of the winning foursome; Sharon Richardson, C2 Inc founder; and Frank Ridgway and Jon King, members of the winning foursome.
Held at The Crossings Golf Club, the tournament will benefit placement of children from Virginia's foster care system into permanent families through Coordinators2. > Read more.
Event will help kick of Marine Corps' 'Toys for Tots' campaign
All 140 A.C. Moore locations will serve as drop-off centers this year for the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, and all toys collected will stay in the local communities served by the stores in which they are donated.
On Saturday, Nov. 15, the Willow Lawn location will kick off the month-long program by hosting a "Make & Take" craft event for kids. Children ages six and older will be able to make a craft and take it home with them. Representatives from the Marines will be in-store to teach customers about the Toys for Tots program. A.C. Moore team members will be on site to help with the crafts. > Read more.
The Dominion GardenFest of Lights Grand Illumination takes place tonight at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden! This year’s theme is “A Legacy in Lights: 120 Years from Bicycle Club to Botanical Garden,” which celebrates the Garden’s history. You can also celebrate Thanksgiving again – tomorrow at Henricus Historical Park. More great events – Lavender Fields Herb Farm and Wilton House Museum will both host their holiday open house events this weekend. For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
Disney’s ‘Big Hero 6,’ lovable robot Baymax delight
It may be time for Olaf to step down as our nation’s reigning cartoon character. Big Hero 6, the latest animated feature from Disney, contains a challenger to the throne: Baymax (Scott Adsit), another lovably chubby white wonder, who will bring joy to children’s hearts and invade every home in America inside a six-foot pile of Disney merchandise.
Big Hero 6 (based ever so slightly on a Marvel comic of the same name) is the story of Baymax – and also his closest companion Hiro Hamada (Ryan Potter). And then also their four friends, all of whom join together to form the titular superhero team.
At first, though, it’s only Hiro, a young boy and an engineering prodigy, who’d rather spend his time in underground robot fight clubs than do something productive with his gifts. > Read more.
Bella’s feels – and tastes – like Italy should
Short Pump is known for its share of chain restaurants and strip malls, but diners looking for something more distinct can certainly find it without heading downtown or to nearby Charlottesville.
In fact, local husband-and-wife restaurateurs Valeria Bisenti and Doug Muir brought a taste of Charlottesville (and Italy) to Short Pump when they took a chance and opened Bella’s second location in the same shopping strip as Wal-Mart and Peter Chang China Cafe. (Bella’s original location is on Main Street in downtown Charlottesville.)
For a local Italian restaurant, Bella’s is as “Mom and Pop” as its gets. Valeria is Mom, and Doug is Pop. Since its opening about six months ago, diners have been eating rich comfort foods and drinking Italian wines. > Read more.
- More News
Nov. 20, 2014Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsSAVE on Cable TV-Internet-Digital Phone. Packages start at $89.99/mo (for 12 months.) Options from ALL major service providers. Call Acceller today to learn more! CALL 1-888-686-5081.
CalendarCelebrate the holidays in Colonial Virginia at the Wilton House Museum’s Holiday Open House from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Enjoy light refreshments, crafts, games, and performances by Barefoot Puppet… Full text