‘Adventure Series’ to begin Friday
Citizen Staff Reports 02/27/12
The County of Henrico Division of Recreation and Parks will present its annual Adventure Series in March, featuring slide presentations and speakers celebrating the outdoors. The first two presentations will include speakers discussing their own adventures, and the series will conclude with some short films on mountain culture.
The Adventure Series is free for all ages and takes place on March 2, 16 and 23. Locations vary and are listed below, and seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
The series will feature the following presentations:
• “Waterwalk: A Passage of Ghosts”, Friday, March 2, 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Henrico County Administration Board Room (4301 E. Parham Road, Henrico 23228) – In 1996 Steven Faulkner and his 16 year-old son Justin left the fast world of cars, jobs, schools, televisions, and computers and set out on a 1,000 mile voyage in their 16-foot canoe, Natty Bumpo. They followed the route first taken in 1673 by the early French explorers Joliet and Marquette to
discover the Upper Mississippi River. Waterwalk is a journey into the heart of this continent 300 years ago, a modern exploration of the quiet waterways that weave their way through America, and a voyage through the heart of a father-son relationship. Steven Faulkner teaches Creative Writing at Longwood University. A movie based on his book “Waterwalk: A Passage of Ghosts” is being produced by Michigan Blue Lake Productions.
• Across the Roof of America presented by Leonard Atkins, Friday, March 16, 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Henrico County Administration Board Room (4301 E. Parham Road, Henrico 23228) – The Continental Divide follows the Rocky Mountains for more than 2,700 miles in the United States and is a part of the National Scenic Trails System. A
complete traverse of it demands using maps and compass during cross-country travel, fording glacier melt-swollen streams, ascending 13,000-foot passes, crossing deserts in 100-degree heat, and crashing through thigh-high snow drifts. As Coordinator of the Across the Roof of America Expedition, award-winning local author and renowned hiker
Leonard Atkins will share stories and photos as he walked the Continental Divide for six months from Canada to Mexico.
• An Evening With Mountainfilm, Friday, March 23, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Henrico Theatre in Highland Springs (305 E Nine Mile Road, Henrico 23075) – Each year in Telluride, Colorado, Mountainfilm celebrates cultures unique to mountain communities with an international rendezvous of legendary mountaineers, environmentalists, filmmakers, authors, scientists, and artists. The mission of Mountainfilm is to educate and inspire audiences about issues that matter, cultures worth exploring, and environments worth preserving. Don’t miss this opportunity to view incredible outdoor films!
Citizen Staff Reports 12/22/2014
Henrico residents can recycle their Christmas trees after the holidays at one of several locations in the county.
From Dec. 26 through Jan. 11, trees will be accepted at the following spots:
• Springfield Road Landfill Public Use Area, near Nuckols Road and I-295 – open from 7:30 am to 7 pm daily, except holidays;
• Charles City Road Landfill Public Use Area – 7:30 am to 7 pm daily, except holidays; > Read more.
Citizen Staff Reports 12/15/2014
CVWMA curbside recycling collection and trash collections will have a one day delay in collections Dec. 25-26 and Jan. 1-2. There will be no collections on Dec. 25 or Jan. 1.
Curbside recycling collections Monday through Wednesday will be on regular schedule. Red Thursday and Red Friday curbside recyclers will have a one day delay in collection services Dec. 25-26. Blue Thursday and Blue Friday curbside recyclers will have one day delay in collection services Jan. 1-2. Containers should be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on collection day. All Friday collections will take place on Saturday. > Read more.
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) will host a candlelight vigil of remembrance and hope Tuesday, Dec. 2 at 7 p.m. at the University of Richmond, outside the Cannon Chapel. The public is invited to attend and join MADD to honor victims of impaired driving crashes, while helping to remind the community to be safe during the holidays. > Read more.
‘Jingle All the Way 2’ is expectedly flawed
Was anyone asking for an extra-large helping of Larry the Cable Guy this Christmas? If so, you can thank Santa Claus for Jingle All the Way 2.
If not, you can be like the rest of us and curse Santa for his folly in creating such a film. Santa, we neither wanted nor needed this.
A follow-up to the much-derided 1996 Christmas film Jingle All the Way, Jingle All the Way 2 isn’t so much a sequel as it is an odd kind of remake, offering a few original twists on the original’s dad-vs-dad holiday showdown, but also copying large chunks of the original without alteration. > Read more.
Find out how your favorite dining establishments fared during their most recent inspections by the Virginia Department of Health. > Read more.
Several holiday performances take place this weekend in Henrico including “It’s a Wonderful Life” and Theatre IV on Tour’s “’Twas the Night Before Christmas” – both at The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen. The Central Virginia Masterworks Chorale will perform Vivaldi’s “Gloria” at River Road Church, Baptist and the Virginia Repertory Theatre will present “Santa’s Christmas Miracle” at the Children’s Theatre at Willow Lawn. A fun annual tradition, now in its 14th year, will be at SkateNation Plus in Short Pump – Chabad of Virginia’s Chanukah on Ice. For all our top picks this weekend, click here! > Read more.
- More News
Dec. 18, 2014Click here to read the print edition.
- More Entertainment
- More Obituaries
- More Community
- More Opinions
- More Sports
ClassifiedsSAVE on Cable TV-Internet-Digital Phone. Packages start at $89.99/mo (for 12 months.) Options from ALL major service providers. Call Acceller today to learn more! CALL 1-888-686-5081.
CalendarThe movie “Ice Age” (PG) will play at 7 p.m. Jan. 2 and at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Jan. 3 at Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Rd. Tickets… Full text